I have to admit, I have a major sweet tooth, particularly first thing in the morning and right after dinner. I love baking using protein powder instead of flour, applesauce instead of oil and stevia instead of sugar because it saves tons of calories while fulfilling my sweet cravings. I am able to enjoy the things I love without feeling like I am restricting myself, which means no binging and a healthy lifestyle that I can stick to for a lifetime.
Meet my pumpkin protein muffins with 15g of protein, only 17g carbs and less than 2g of fat! How is this possible, you ask? Read on for the recipe!!
Who doesn’t want a freshly baked warm pumpkin muffin on a crisp winter morning (without all the sugar and fat)?!
Makes 6 large muffins.
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 scoops PEScience Snickerdoodle Select Protein (vanilla flavored protein powder will work too)
- 1 cup liquid egg whites (or 8 whole egg whites)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning (or 1 tsp all spice + 1 teaspoon nutmeg)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 6 cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a blender or food processor, mix all ingredients together. Blend until mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into muffin tin leaving about 1/2 inch of room from the top.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
Optional Toppings: 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt mixed with 1tbsp honey and 1 tsp cinammon
MACROS for 1 muffin (1/6 of recipe) without toppings: 140 calories, 14.8g protein, 16.9g carbs, 1.6g fat